Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Let's Get Down to Business

To defeat the huns!

Sorry, little Mulan moment. Best song ever, by the way. So the title? Well it's time to buckle down. After writing up my blog post 3 days ago, I decided I am really dedicated to losing weight now. I think it has to do with me putting down an actual number goal for my weight - it makes me more motivated. So since then, I've restarted my food log (kind of got bored with it and forgot haha) and I'm counting calories. I'm usually pretty accurate with it, but if I'm not sure of a number, then I will overestimate. Now, I calculated how many calories my body burns each day (without working out) and it came out to be 3,100 currently at my weight. So as long as I eat less than that, I lose weight. But at the same time, I don't want to get in the habit of always eating just under 3,000 every day. I want to be used to eating less, for when I do lose the weight, I don't gain it back. So instead I'm aiming for 2,000-2,400 calories per day. 2,400 calories is what my body would burn at my goal weight, so I should aim to get used to 2,400 a day. Realistically I aim for 2,000, because I'm gauranteed to throw in a few extra calories from random tidbits (say I grab a small handful of peanuts on my way out the door and don't write it down, for example). It also accounts for if I end up underestimating calories. I'd rather go a few less than a few over.

Now currently, I'm eating less than 2,000 calories a day (over the last 3 days), more around the numbers of 1,500 on average. Although I should really eat more than that, I also want to stop tempting myself of big portions and bad snacking habits. So I'm trying to train my stomach to be comfortable with feeling satisfied, rather than completely full as I've always been used to. If I get used to being satisfied for a couple hours before I eat again, that's better than eating until I'm stuffed, and feeling that way for hours and hours. However, if I ever end up feeling as if I haven't had enough food and am lacking serious energy, then I will make sure to eat some extra food. It can be very risky eating so few calories with such a high metabolic rate (due to sex/height/weight), so I want to be cautious. But so far, everything has been fine. The first day I was hungrier than I wanted to, but I survived. Today I had a problem, and that was that I didn't have enough calories in me prior to my workout, specifically little to no protein and not too many complex carbs either, so because of that, halfway through my workout I actually had to stop due to fatigue. So I took a short break and actually ate a little sandwich, about 175 calories worth. And that did the trick. So now I need to make sure I have some food in me prior to my workouts. I have some low fat granola with raisins (decent in fiber and protein as well), and add in some vanilla greek yogurt and some berries. That'll help get me some servings of fruit in my diet, as well as get me some protein and carbs which is what I need.

I'm going to keep this post shorter, due to having some other plans that I want to deal with here, so I want to wrap things up. In my next post I'll talk about my 2 months between my blog posting, and if I haven't talked too much in it, I can go over my plan for after next week (I start my 13th and final week of P90X on Thursday). But I've decided I will update my blog every 3 days, and I'll try hard to keep it to that. I might go 4 days on ocasion if nothing has gone on, but I want to make sure that I'm consistantly writing, even about nothing. It'll help with my writing in general for school and what not, so that's always a good thing, even if it is just a blog. Oh and before I sign out, when I started this blog, I was on my first notch of my belt, and sometimes on my second (a little uncomfortable, but it worked), and now I'm using my third and fourth notches. Always a nice sign. Definitely means if I've only lost ~5 pounds since this blog started, that I've gained a lot of muscle, due to losing at least 2 inches on my waist (you know, since muscle weighs more than fat).

That's all for now, I'm sure I missed something. I'll try to write down things in between blog postings so that I don't forget. Well I guess until next time, you ought to stay fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment