Sunday, February 19, 2012

Two Months Later...

Oh wow, just wow. So it's been two entire months since I last updated my blog. Now to be fair, I haven't had much to talk about until a few weeks ago, and then the procrastination sunk in. Just never got around to it. So now that I've remembered, it's time to write.

Where did I leave off...

Ah yes, that's right, my father's birthday, a week before Christmas, about to start Zoo Camp, and just relaxing during my break. Well, that's exactly what my break was like, relaxing. So relaxing, in fact, that I never worked out after the first week. I just needed a rest, and it was good. I feel as if my knee is doing better now (I believe I've mentinoed this, but not sure - my right knee has some sort of joint problems, and it's uncomfortable when working on my legs), thanks to my long break from working out, which is great. It still has problems when I first start to do squats and lunges, but I don't experience discomfort outside of my workouts (and after a few minutes it warms up pretty nicely and doesn't have many problems). But then...

Then I got sick. And not just the common cold, mind you... Well, except that it was the common cold; but this wasn't ANY common cold, this shit lasted for a month. Probably the longest cold I've ever had, it got to a point where I could go on living life again, but it lingered forever. Well, because of that, I could never start working out, because I just didn't have the lung capacity, nor the energy to handle an intense workout (even if I did half of a workout, it'd be difficult). However, I finally started back up on February 1st, after 7 weeks of inactivity (inactive as in working out wise - even then, still quite inactive due to being sick and on break). My last workout in December was a Yoga day, which was the 4th day of Week 10. I decided to start back up from the beginning of Week 10. I had made a lot of progress over the first 9.5 weeks that I was working out during, but I lost a lot of my strength unfortunately. Now, that's expected; my first workout with weights, I had to drop 5 pounds on all my exercises to be able to do the same amount of reps, and even then, it was hard to keep up with my previous workouts. But now, 2 and a half weeks later, I can tell I'm just about where I left off in December, which is fantastic news for me.

Further more, I do still have a bit more work to do to get to where I was previously, but I'm very close, and I can tell I've slimmed down on my waist just a bit more than before, so I've at least made that progress. My weight is still around the same, but I'm hoping by Spring Break to finally have made a dent in it. I never lost much due to a lot of muscle gain, and then over break I stayed about the same, losing a tad bit of muscle and gaining a bit of fat again (winter weather plus being back at home is really bad for my health). But, I'm finishing up Week 12 of P90X in the next 3 days, and then I have my last and final week of the program (yeah, with a 7 week break, but I don't care about that - just lost a bit of momentum). After that, I begin to run. Oh this should be fun. I need to get some new running shoes, but I figure I'll probably do that during Spring Break once I've started a bit and make sure that I actually get into it (don't want to waste money on shoes I won't use!); until then, I have some cross training shoes that are a bit uncomfortable for long distances or running (great for exercise, but the fit is slightly off for me), but they'll do fine for now.

Just a little bit more to write for now - I'll write up something in a couple days to go on about what else has been happening.

So I'm going to finally put down in writing, goals of mine to accomplish by my birthday (which is what I recognize as the beginning of Summer), June 15th. My biggest goal, is to lose 30-35 pounds (my weight fluctuates a lot, especially since I found out my scale at home isn't calibrated correctly! One moment it'll rest at 4 pounds (nothing on the scale) and the next it'll be 1 pound). To be more specific, my average weight (since it fluctuates as I mentioned) is between 250-255 depending on the day/week, and I want to weigh 220 pounds by my birthday. That's a big goal, 30+ pounds. But, at my weight, it can also be easy to accomplish at the same time (30 pounds of 250 is a 12% reduction, which would be the equivalent of losing 18 pounds at 150... Okay that seems like a lot still) due to the fact that I already weigh quite a bit. I really need to buckle down with my eating - my main problems are snacking, and portion size (moreso snacking). I need to work on eating less and resisting temptation; as time goes on, my stomach will shrink a bit and I'll be used to eating less. But until then, it's rough. My other goals are - running a 5k race in July (and actually "racing," by which I mean running without stopping, and actually going for a decent time, personally), and to be able to do 50 consecutive push ups. Yup, that goal I just started up.

The weight loss will come with time, eating less, starting to run, etc. I'll be focusing more on cardio, but still put in resistance training and anaerobic exercise so I'm not only doing one thing, and that will really help with my weight loss. One big reason is that I won't be working as much on muscle gain. My resistance training will be for three reasons - mixing it up by cross training, maintaining my muscular strength, and increasing muscular endurance (so being able to do more reps). On top of that, I have this new 50 consecutive push up goal. Now, I came across a site just last night about a planned schedule to get you up to anywhere from 50-100 consecutive push ups, in 6 weeks. Well, I realized I've never been good at push ups, NEVER. I can do 15 on a good day, and I struggle with it a lot. I usually do knee push ups actually. But I want to reach at least 50. It's a great chest workout, and I've always been envious of people who can do so many in comparison to me. So with some weight loss and working on push ups 6 out of 7 days in the week (might decrease how many days per week - for now while I'm doing fewer reps, I'm doing it every day besides my rest day), I figure it should be a pretty easy goal to accomplish, especially by Summer. I could probably push it to 100, but I really only care about 50 for now. So today I started out easy - 4 sets of 3 push ups (no knee, as I want the real deal) and then for my last set, maximum, which was 10 today. Doing that every day, and slowly increasing, should do me just fine.


(that's the site that I came across, onehundredpushups.com)

Alright, I've talked enough - this has taken me pretty long to write up as well. I still have more to discuss, but that will come in a couple of days. Until then, I'd prefer it if you stayed fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment