Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What Goes Up, Must Come Down

And vise versa, at least in this case.

So I had previously complained about my poor day on Friday, due to a few different factors (running). Well Sunday, as well as today were my two best days of running yet! It's funny how that works. On Saturday I got a nice rest by just going to Monmouth, although Greg and I did end up walking over to where he works and shooting some hoops for a bit, but that wasn't much, and just recreational. Sunday, I went on my Week 3 Day 3 run (still 3 min run, 2 min walk) and I had kept to a much better and steady pace, while still retaining some energy at the end, so I ended up running a little extra at the end and finally, FINALLY broke the 3 mile barrier that I've been hoping to cross for a while. I finished at 3.05 miles (0.13 miles farther than my previous best) while also improving my pace by a whopping 35 seconds per mile! That's incredible. I felt great, and it was a wonderful day on top of that. So then Monday I got set back a bit, health wise, as I had a total "vegging out" sort of day. Just lots of food. It wasn't too much over what my body burns in a day, about 450 more than I should be eating, but it was only one day luckily. And good thing that I had my next run today, which involved more running, to help the fact that I had a "fat" day yesterday. So today. Whew, today. My run was even better (although the weather on Sunday was far superior). It was Week 4 Day 1 of my podcast, which meant that it was 5 intervals of 4 minute jogging, with only 1 minute breaks in between. The 4 minute intervals weren't too difficult, because I went into the first one with a pretty decent pace, something that I kept up pretty well. But damn, those 1 minute walking intervals were tough on me, because before I knew it, I was back and running again. I know it's better that I only do the 1 minute of walking, but you don't even know how much I'd want an extra 30 seconds to recover my breathing. Nonetheless, I did fantastic. And I even had extra energy at the end once again, so I ran an extra 3 minutes on top of the podcast, so I ended up at 3.4 miles, and increased my overall pace by another 18 seconds (that's an improvement of 53 seconds over 2 runs), which puts me at 11:12 minutes per mile. Remember, that includes the 10 minutes of walking as a warm up and cool down. I can definitely see quite a bit of improvement, especially now that I have more endurance in terms of intervals (so I can do more than 5 now), and built up a fair amount of endurance of just pure running time. Doubled it in fact (from 2 to 4 minutes).

Other than that, not much else has happened that I haven't discussed already. I filled out my NCAA tournament bracket as usual, and of course, the first two games today (play in games to get into the normal 64 team bracket) I lost both of. But to be fair, they were teams that should have won (as in the teams that lost) but they had horrible second halves. Iona was beating BYU by 25 points, and BYU came back to win it by 6 (Iona was scoreless for 12 straight minutes!), which is the largest comeback in NCAA tournament history. I also went to Dixon this evening with Nick, to get a bit of biking in. Biked down, did 10 minutes on a bike at a moderate intensity due to still digesting some food, and then with a 5 minute warm up and cool down, I did a 15 minute HIIT on a bike. I was going for 20, but my legs were dying at 15 and I decided to call it quits, since I did have a long run today.

I've got my 5k on Saturday in Albany, which I actually just signed up for about an hour ago. I just kept putting it off, mainly due to monetary reasons. But I'm excited for that. Hoping for under 30 minutes (considering I won't spend 10 minutes as a warm up/cool down, I feel as if that's pretty reasonable), but who cares. Just going to go at the pace that Malika and I are comfortable with. I've got a slightly faster pace than hers (although I wouldn't be surprised if she has more endurance than me) so I'll motivate her to work at it, but at the same time, I don't want to push myself too hard, since this is just for fun; I think it'll work out perfectly.

Not much else to discuss. One of my new favorite foods is cajun shrimp (thanks to Greg). Put butter in skillet, put shrimp in skillit, sprinkle plenty of cajun seasoning over it, and cook. I also threw in some chipotle flakes (like crushed red pepper, but it's jalepeno with that strong chipotle/smoky flavoring). Also had some pasta with some Newman's Own red sauce added, but I put in some Sriracha hot sauce into it, and it was soooooo good.

Stay fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment