Sunday, March 4, 2012

Please, Not Again

I fear I am getting sick again. It's strange, I haven't been majorly sick while continuously working out, which is good. But I started feeling the symptoms yesterday, and have still kept them today. Although I'd like to point out that after a run and a few miles of both riding my bike and walking, I do feel better than this morning/early afternoon. I hope that staying active is my key to both preventing sickness, as well as reducing how bad the sickness is on my body. If it doesn't get any worse, I can't imagine seeing anything bad come from it, no missed classes or missed workouts due to it, but if it does, my body will just become crippled, just like every other cold I get. But the fact that I'm still surviving on Saturday night, when I felt the symptoms Friday morning, is astonishing to say the least. Let's hope for the best.

I apologize for once again being a day late with this blog post, I just kind of forgot last night, after Nick was hanging out here for a while in the evening, and then wanting to get to bed, hoping to make it to Dixon this morning, on top of a run. I ended up feeling pretty crummy this morning, and decided of the planned run, trip to Dixon, and basketball game, I'd have to prioritize, and I decided to keep my scheduled run instead of the other two things. It was a good choice; I slept in and went out for a run. I'm on the second week now, which means that it's 2.5 minutes of jogging, and 2.5 minutes of walking, 5 intervals (instead of the previous 4), and of course a 5 minute warm up walk with a 5 minute cool down walk at the end. I can definitely tell the difference between last week and this week, and with the possibility of being sick right now (hard to breathe during the jogging portion) and then of course my ankle (I'll explain shortly), it's been a bit tough. But I'm up to 2.7 miles on the entire run (12.5 minutes jogging, 20 minutes total walking), and it's nice to be increasing my mileage, even if I'm still walking a lot of it.

Ah right, my ankle. So last I had talked about being home, well the next morning, I noticed a decent pain in my right ankle. I carried on, had a good interview at the Oregon Zoo, ate at the Killer Burger in Sellwood that just opened (at which the cashier recognized me from eating the Marine Burger on Youtube - will post the video just below this paragraph. Also talked with the owner, Mark, and had a nice chat), but my ankle still bugged me. I drove back to Corvallis and it just got worse. The next day, Malika ended up going on her Week 2 Day 1 run, even though I figured we would have a 2 day break between weeks. But I decided to try out my run nonetheless (I'd prefer it every other day anyways, rather than 3 days a week; gets in 7 runs every 2 weeks instead of 6), and it was a bit tough. I wrapped up my ankle, but 3/5 of the way through, I had to take a 5 minute break to get off my foot, and also to rewrap it, as it was a bit too tight on me. With the increase of energy, due to taking that break, I decided to push myself and run a bit more than the podcast told me to do, to make up for that break. Yet somehow, I managed to travel an extra 0.1 mile today than I did Thursday, even though I felt sick and didn't stop at all. Interesting. By the way, I use an app called Runkeeper, on top of my podcast, which uses the GPS in the iPhone to keep track of your mileage and route, as well as time and pace, etc.
I still haven't finished up my last 2 workouts of P90X, but that's due to my ankle, and I decided that continuing my running schedule was a bit more important, and I didn't want to kill my ankle with too much work on it. By the way, I thought it was sprained due to the pain and location, but as of today, it's been doing much better. So we'll see how it is tomorrow and if I have to wrap it up at all while walking. I might actually want to wrap up my left ankle (the other one) due to compensating for the lack of strength of my right ankle. I noticed it was bugging me a bit today.

I really want to make it to Dixon tomorrow, so fingers crossed, and if I'm feeling better, hopefully I'll make it. Get on a spinning bike for a bit of intense cardio, maybe do intervals instead of just a constant pace, and also shoot some hoops. I don't see any real need to lift weights at the moment, considering that I can do a lot of exercises here at my apartment on my own time.

It's time to start heading to bed, if I plan on getting to Dixon tomorrow morning, as I'll want as much rest as possible before hand. Stay fancy.

1 comment: