Thursday, April 26, 2012

FASTEST MILE I HAVE EVER RUN

First, sorry to my readers about the delay in this post. It's now been about 11 days since I last posted. I got laryngitis last week, so things changed. That week 6 run I had said I was going to do last Monday, turned into just a mile. So from there, I decided to just pace a mile for my runs until I could handle the farther distances better. Except my last few runs where I've tried to run a week 6 or week 7 workout (either 2 or 3 intervals of 12 minutes), my body could only handle 1 interval. So now I'm a bit on track, as I just finished a week 7 run yesterday.

The title says it all. On saturday I ran a 6:22 mile, and on Sunday a 5:42 mile. Okay, the title doesn't say it all... They were downhill miles, meaning there was a negative net gain on the elevation. It was about half downhill, and the other half was either flat or slightly uphill. Nonetheless, it's where I would start my runs in Lake Oswego. Now, I could say that I broke the 6 minute mile now, and I'm happy, but it was downhill. Instead, I'm going to continue a goal of 7 minutes for a mile (I realized 6 minutes was a bit too ambitious for a flat course, since my previous estimates had been off the downhill in Lake Oswego), and maybe shoot for a 6 minute by the end of summer, just to make it slightly easier on me. I already have a goal of 5 straight miles without walking before my birthday, and that'll be a bit tough. I want to push myself, but I also want to make sure I can realistically accomplish these goals without overexerting myself too much.

Luckily, even with laryngitis, I was at least getting out for a run of 1-1.5 miles, just to get something done. And I did a few weight lifting workouts as well, since I want to continue that. I really want to stay active enough that I'm doing some kind of workout, everyday. Even if it's a 20-30 minute weight lifting routine.

I ran my week 7 workout yesterday, and barely finished it. Well, not really, as I ran an extra 3.5 minutes on my last interval... But once I was done running - I was DONE running. Probably the most exhausted I've been from a run. Then again, it was technically the most I've run - 39.5 minutes total, with 6 minutes of walking as well for my two walk intervals. Speaking of which, I used to count my warm up and cool down walks (5 minutes each) into my distance traveled, mainly since before I was walking at least half of my workout, so it seemed reasonable to count it (slowed down my pace a bit though). But now, I'm barely walking at all, and I want to pay more attention to my overall pace, so once the running portion actually started after the warm up, that's when I'll be turning on my running app (Runkeeper). I did that yesterday, and I really wanted to break 4 miles (my previous week 7 run was 4.35 miles, but that was with the warm up and cool down) so I just kept going until I broke 4, and then had a block or two left in me, as I ended up at 4.11 miles. I'm pretty happy about that, especially after not being able to run long distances over the last week and a half (long as in more than a mile).

Two more things, then I'm done, I swear.

So today I want to run again, but I won't be up to another week 7 run like yesterday, but I still want to challenge myself a bit. I think I've decided that I'll run 2 miles straight. Which shouldn't be a problem. But then again, I've never run more than a mile and a half straight without walking. So it'll be something new to me. I want to do this, so I can get more used to these intervals, since I'm always exhausted after each 12 minute interval, and the only way I can continue is with the help of the walk intervals. That's my biggest problem right now, and if I don't improve, then there's no way I'll be able to run 30 minutes straight. Let alone 5 miles without walking. But now I'm looking outside my window, and it just got very windy and gloomy, yet it was a bit sunny out just an hour ago. I'll wait up to an hour, hoping the weather turns out a bit better before heading out the door.

And now I'm done with the fitness part of my blog... I got a new game! Well I pirated it, so I could try it out. It's Skyrim. And it might be the best game ever. I've already put in 20 hours in 3 days - that's how awesome it is. But I don't like keeping pirated games, so I'll buy it once it goes on sale, as the price of it is still fairly steep. Until then, I'll just continue doing quests and killing dragons and such. One reason I want to run today is so I'm not inside playing the game all day long. Oh, Skyrim...

Anyways, glad to have finally posted this, as it's been a while. Until next time, stay fancy.

P.S. Really? It's now sunny out, but also raining...

No comments:

Post a Comment